follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Friday, April 21, 2006

find the art in the everyday

this is the challenge for this week's inspire me thursday... i've decided to use everyday items for my attempt.
the above shows some items that i've either hoarded in my "someday-i'll-use-this-for-something-and-i-can't-bear-to-throw-it-out" stash or just found, like today, this plastic boot hanger from the gap (a pair of rain boots was hanging from this). the stuff from my stash that caught my eye: a silver foil wrapper from a chocolate truffle, a clothes tag tied with pink silk ribbon, and some dove chocolate wrappers with messages on their undersides... the boot hanger (sans the gap logo) intially reminded me of a partial dragonfly body, but then it started to look like a partial head and shoulder sillohuette and then aha! i remembered that i had a stamp of a female face... i thought i would cover the one side with the silver foil wrapper, which i had saved after eating the delectible truffle from cowgirl chocolates (this was a while ago that i ate that, by the way). and then one thing led to another, and another and...

this is what resulted. i added a few other doo-dads and now i think the figure looks like an aviatrix... it was not my initial intention. actually, i didn't know exactly how it was going to turn out. but i rather like what i've created.

the message reads: don't think about it so much {of life}...laugh uncontrollably...it clears the mind. following your instincts...what a good thing!

Posted by Picasa

12 Comments:

  • At 4/22/2006 02:02:00 AM, Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said…

    now that is a creative unfolding! I enjoyed watching where your creative path lead!

    I would have never guessed this view!
    Wonderful!

     
  • At 4/22/2006 07:12:00 AM, Blogger Going For Greatness said…

    You have a creative vision! I would have never seen the little boot hanger as a piece to save for art! How cool!!
    Love the silk tag with red tie as her scarf! Very creative!
    ~Gabi

     
  • At 4/22/2006 08:32:00 AM, Blogger Sofia Barao said…

    incredible, very nice piece :) thanks for your comment

     
  • At 4/22/2006 10:46:00 AM, Blogger Hashi said…

    I love your aviatrix ... and isn't it fun to watch the piece unfold and become itself?

     
  • At 4/22/2006 11:06:00 AM, Blogger andria said…

    Now that is impressive. I wish I had an eye to find things like that. Who would have thought that Gap hanger would turn into something so nice? You should quit your job and make card/scrapbooks for a living.

     
  • At 4/22/2006 02:32:00 PM, Blogger firstborn said…

    thanks so much for your kind comments!!!! this motivates me to carry on!!!!

    and andria, that is exactly what my husband always tells me: quit my job, make crafts for a living and he can retire!(lol)...

    i am working on toward that ultimate goal, actually, and i am more determined than ever to follow my bliss...

    :) mary ann

     
  • At 4/22/2006 07:49:00 PM, Blogger audrey said…

    Hi Mary Ann...don't you just love those "aha" moments, when everything seems to just fall in place :0) I love what you did with the little boot hanger. Too cool. Also, you had left a comment on my blog and I wanted to email you but couldn't find a link on your blog so if you have a minute could you drop me a line at jadeinfla@yahoo.com. Thanks bunches.

     
  • At 4/23/2006 05:47:00 PM, Blogger Artist in Progress said…

    Excellent, what an imagination you have. You twinkle like a star! Love it. Carol M.

     
  • At 4/24/2006 12:10:00 AM, Blogger Turquoise CRO said…

    LOve that art girly! especially the saying LOL LOL LOL and the red scarf!

     
  • At 4/24/2006 09:46:00 AM, Blogger Rrramone said…

    this is so inspiring! I have a big box of junk that I need to do something with as well, and now I will. :-)

     
  • At 4/24/2006 11:33:00 AM, Blogger carla said…

    THis is soooo inspired! It's neat to see the bits and pieces and then see how you've turned thme into such a whimsical and pretty piece of artwork. It makes me think of those exercises where everyone gets the same things to work with, but each finished product is different. Really lovely!

     
  • At 4/25/2006 12:44:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    This is absolutely lovely! I love how you interpreted your everyday findings, and transformed the mundane into the extraordinary!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!