follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Friday, May 05, 2006

friday's finds

a couple of week's ago, i posted friday's finds and lately i have been exploring and finding all kinds of neat places in the town where we live. and i have found some really cool stuff, like that what you see below. is it a coincidence or have i just opened my eyes to things around me???? i have this penchant for collecting... i am not sure how it exactly all began, really. but i think i got this from my mom, who used to take us five kids to thrift stores growing up. my parents were (& still are) frugal sorts, especially when it comes to feeding and clothing five children back in the day! and i can remember my sisters and i going "thrifting" after school and finding lots of clothes and other cool stuff for dirt cheap! what started out of necessity has now turned into an obsession...and even worser, an addiction! i have written about this in look out!

i just love finding cool, antique-y stuff...there is something about uncovering things/treasures from the past that have wonderfully aged and yet are still very functional! anyone who's been to our home knows that i just adore filling our place with old things that are unique, beautiful and still very useful...one day i will take snaps of our "nest"... which brings me to this post... wouldn't it be great if we could post our "finds" every friday {i just like the way friday's finds rolls off the tongue} and share all those wonderful treasures that have caught our eye, captured our imagination, brought us joy? so i invite you to join me every friday to show off your fantastic finds...they can be anything that inspires you: antiques, thrift store junk, photos, images, art work, words, books, whatever....the main thing is that it has to be found... that is the only requirement! so.... i'll start us off this week...i found all sorts of goodies on my now weekly jaunts :)...an old door [not sure yet what to use it for, but i loved the chipped off paint], a lovely glass terrarium, a couple of wood signs (oval and rectangular) that have been painted white [white washed stuff always catches my eye!], an old cigar box that someone has painted a sage green color, a treasure trove of vintage postcards and photos [gotten for a song!], a blue "what-not" box {perfect to hold my many embellishments}, a bag of old clothspins, a bag of vintage buttons, green glass jar, old hole diamond shape puncher, date stampers {couldn't pass them up at .50-1.00 a piece!}, and a bunch of costume jewelry ( cheap embellishments for cards and such)...whew.... i'm exhausted...but i did have wicked fun!!!!!! i hope you will join me every friday and share your found treasures whatever form they might be...i leave you with this snap which says it all! {mary ann also known as firstborn because she was born first in the family!} Posted by Picasa

12 Comments:

  • At 5/05/2006 03:51:00 PM, Blogger andria said…

    That's a good idea, I will have to stay on the look out. I don't buy much stamping/scrapping things anymore, but I did stumble across a Thomas the Tank Engine scrap kit at walmart so maybe one day soon I can scrap our "Day out with Thomas" events...we've been to three and none of them scrapped yet.

     
  • At 5/05/2006 04:13:00 PM, Blogger Judy Scott said…

    count me in this sounds great fun Ill pass this onto Sue as she may be interested too, thanks for the invite Love Judy x
    We'll need a Fridays Finds badge and a flickr group thing to post to!!!!! what fun Im smiling:D :D :D

     
  • At 5/05/2006 04:42:00 PM, Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said…

    Ah you like vintage postcards I see!! I'll send you one if you mail me your address!!

     
  • At 5/06/2006 07:49:00 AM, Blogger Going For Greatness said…

    I am an antiquer too and I am frequently found rifling through boxes at fleamarkets looking for that 'perfect' treasure! Lovely finds you have there!! It sounds like "Friday Finds" will be right up my alley!!!!
    ~Gabi

     
  • At 5/06/2006 09:50:00 AM, Blogger firstborn said…

    yeah!!!!!!!

    this will be so wicked fun!!!!

    can't wait to see what everybody else will be finding!!!!!!!!!!

    so appreciate your kind words up there!!!!!!!

    :) mary ann

     
  • At 5/06/2006 08:20:00 PM, Blogger Suzie Q said…

    Hi Mary Ann, Judy & All! :)

    Thanks so much for the invite - I am a habitual hoarder of all sorts of things, and will be so glad to share some of my 'finds' with you, as soon as I can find my way round! ;) I love what I've seen so far, and look forward to sharing in the fun! :)

    Love to All,
    Sue x

     
  • At 5/06/2006 09:03:00 PM, Blogger firstborn said…

    welcome sue! the more the merrier!!!!

    this group...
    it's what helps us justify our hoarding tendencies!

    :) mary ann

     
  • At 5/07/2006 03:19:00 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    I have always loved to browse around antique stores, and also thrift shops...My mother in law has an extreme passion for this, her entire house is furnished from these places, and the garage sales that she goes to in her home town, which is known historically, has decorated her home beautifully. We lived in my husbands home town for a few years, in a home that was built by Mile Standishs' son Alexander, built in 1666. I think this is where my love for something old came from. I found postcards from the house we rented at a local antique shop and framed them, then gave them to someone who had bought the property. Often my mother in law gets me something from a thrift or antique store for my birthday/christmas...that is one thing we have in common! I am trying to find something to do on Mothers day that wont stress me out, and browsing antique stores may be the answer!I would love to stick with one type of theme that I would look for, my husband collects antique tools..maybe I will stick with antique paper, books, etc.....ok, now I am getting into this at 4 am! I have to run to work! Have a Great Day Mary Ann! thanks for the inspiration today! You actually helped me with something I have been struggling with and that is decisions...and deciding what to do next Sunday has been consuming me!

     
  • At 5/07/2006 03:54:00 AM, Blogger weirdbunny said…

    I love the green box, and all the buttons. Are you going to sort the buttons in their own colours and put them in jars. I love buttons.

     
  • At 5/07/2006 01:08:00 PM, Blogger firstborn said…

    pauline...you are quite welcome! happy to oblige and happy antiquing/thrifting!!!!

    weirdbunny: yes, i love buttons too, especially vintage ones... i've a growing collection...i would like to sort them by color and place them in their separate jars (i've tons of those too!>>>hopeless collector, i'm afraid)...oh well, i am resigned to keeping them all in a big tin that i found long time ago, where else, a thrift store!

    :) mary ann

     
  • At 5/08/2006 01:40:00 PM, Blogger artjunk~ said…

    mary ann--where do I start? first, I popped over here from MMM to tell you how much I LOVED your "I am proud of..." entry last week. It's beautiful! I love the artwork and the words and the happiness of it. then I saw friday finds...ooooo....sounds like fun. I feel the exact way you described about older things and treasure hunting. I love vintage photos and cool stuff like you showed in this post, esp. the humor of the last piece, yes! I want to participate in friday finds. sound like fun! :)Lia

     
  • At 5/08/2006 08:15:00 PM, Blogger firstborn said…

    hi lia!

    thank you for your sweet comments!

    and yes, please join in the fun!!!!

    am currently working with judy scott in getting the whole ff badges straightened out...bec. at the moment, no one can upload them!!!!

    it's so frustrating for a complete computer illiterate like me!!!! but judy will soon fix that (fingers crossed)...

    anyway, you can click on the plain text "friday's finds" in my sidebar and that will take you to the flickr group!

    can't wait to see what you've uncovered!

    :) mary ann

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!