follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

ll cool

this is one of several old photos & postcards that i scored on a recent antique junkit...i only paid two dollars for this>>>it tugged at my heart strings so>>>i couldn't pass this up...& yet, i have no idea who this is...there were no identifying names or descriptions...just a studio portrait of a young babe>>>a boy, by the looks of it...& taken i would venture to say, perhaps, c. 1912-1915, around there... the older i get, the more my ideas of what being old changes! like, i used to think 40 was so flippin' OLD! i had a well-meaning neighbor who tried to set me up with her husband's 40 y.o. cousin when i was in my 20s>>>& man, did i think that was ANCIENT! but now, i'm re-thinking this as now i think someone in their 90s is wicked old! like a patient i met today...his initials [& i'm not kidding] are l.l.l.[l.l., for short]>>>he is 93, born in 1913. i went into his room to work with him. he had just completed some physical therapy & looked worn out...he had a sort of mean, grumpy expression on his face when i peeked through his door. i thought, oh, here we go, another crotchety old goat who's going tell me to get the hell out! i braced myself as i strolled into his room & introduced myself... imagine my surprise when his wrinkled ol' face lit up with a friendly smile! i was, like, wow, this might not be so bad after all...& he wanted me to go ahead & start my therapy {a swallowing treatment}...he wanted to cooperate. & he did, too. bless his heart... behind what i took for a gruff, forbidding exterior, really belied a friendly, remarkable person >>> someone who spent 50 years of his life devoted to teaching children of all ages, worked hard all his life, raised & reared 3 children of his own with his late wife of 65 years!, a die-hard do-it-yourselfer, self- taught in electrical wiring & carpentry, a virtual walking, breathing science & history book, a proud veteran, a lover of the great outdoors & travelling, someone who encouraged his children to be adventurous & see the world, lived simply, though richly a quick-witted comedian, constantly cracking jokes & one-liners, extremely proud that he still had most of his own teeth [& looked pretty darn good!], someone who held his fears & anxieties about his current medical status in check as well as tolerated an invasive treatment by someone like me, who poked & prodded him for 45 minutes using electrodes... long after i parted l.l., on the drive home tonight, i thought of the wonderful stories & wicked sense of humor that he graciously shared with me & how i almost mistook him for a grouch... & then remembered this old photograph, thinking , that could very well be him! incredible how you encounter the elderly & do not even think twice that they were wee folk too...i am so glad that i walked into l.l.'s room, despite my initial reservations, because if i hadn't, i would have missed out meeting him! he is one of those souls you're so genuinely glad to meet & then afterwords, find yourself feeling so very inspired...& hoping that you will turn out half as good as he when you get up there in age! thanks l.l., you are one cool dude! Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  • At 5/31/2006 09:13:00 PM, Blogger JUST ME said…

    beautiful story Mary Ann....

    LOVE YA,

    Angie

    P.S. I have something on the way for you.....

     
  • At 6/01/2006 05:26:00 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    sweet story..what is even sweeter is that you can take every day and every experience, learn from it and use your passions the way you do...I am learning too..it is a process...but a nice one...I feel somedays 'cleansed' and your posts help me...take a look at the small things that make me happy

     
  • At 6/02/2006 01:17:00 AM, Blogger Amber said…

    I just love this story...Thank you so much for sharing...
    I can only hope that when I am II's age I will be shown the same respect that you showed him that day...

    Love the photo too:0)

    Amber H.

     
  • At 6/02/2006 07:56:00 PM, Blogger weirdbunny said…

    I'm so glad that you felt inspired by someone today. It's just amazing when someone we don't really know can touch our lives in such a way by their happiness and unselfishness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!