follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

somewhere in time

during my bloggin' break, i ventured outside my office>>> home>>> garden>>> to a local park where a renaissance fair took place. i felt a bit self-conscious in my modern day garb as i walked about the fair grounds...all sorts of folk were walking, talking & breathing medieval! it kinda reminded me of that charmed episode where the sisters were sent back into time in salem, ma [sorry about the charmed tv show reference...but my sister jo would know this!]...it kinda freaked me out when people would say, "ye", "thee", "m'lady" , "fair maiden" & totally mean it! i kept thinking, should i say, "aye" & "thank thee so much"??? i mean, what was the proper thing to say??? oh well, ...i mostly grinned and beared it... & i was oddly fascinated by how they all kept themselves in character...i know i just couldn't keep a straight face through it all! i felt like i walked into the twilight zone, you know?i watched grown men dressed in tights and armour battle it out amongst one another using mock swords & shields, contraptions that looked like giant mallets...henry the VIII wannabes & ladies-in-waiting playing some type of lawn bowling game...then this craftswoman caught my attention & i meandered over to her as she worked on this little mug...she said, "good day m'lady"...it fascinated me to watch an artisan at work & i told her so. she obliged me by letting me take this snap of her as she continued on her delicate details...& also allowed me to capture her beautiful stand filled with her wonderful creations that she said were crafted in the old, time-worn traditions of yore... & you know, i got to thinking>>>once in a while it's good to venture out of your safety net & see what wonderful surprise might be awaiting you. Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

  • At 5/25/2006 05:22:00 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    what a cool spontaneous thing to do....you are awesome! wht a nice break from work!

     
  • At 5/25/2006 08:15:00 AM, Anonymous Looney said…

    Gosh, it did look like a scene from Charmed! Look at all those treasures! That's so neat that people actually had on exquisite gowns and armours...wish chivalry was still around...where is Robin Hood when you need him?! What a nice little escape from this world... xoxo Looney

     
  • At 5/25/2006 08:40:00 AM, Anonymous Looney said…

    PS. can you pass this message on to Sweet Memories...really enjoy reading her blog!!! Her b-day card to her sweet hubby is fantastic! I love her 39 wish list to her dh and her family-that was so clever and creative!!! Her dh sounds like mine-always on the go, like the energizer bunny. I know her pain about balance, trying to breathe, trying to be a good mommy, etc. I think that any mommy that contemplates if she's a good mom, really is...just take a look at your creation-your little ones...I hope she really enjoys her long weekend-she deserves so much happiness and more! She's doing a wonderful job in the blog world and her world! xoxo Looney

     
  • At 5/25/2006 02:54:00 PM, Blogger Overwhelmed! said…

    Oh, I love Renaissance fairs! I've never had the guts to rent a costume and participate to that extent, but I love see what others are wearing!

    Neat pictures!

     
  • At 5/31/2006 07:26:00 AM, Blogger Going For Greatness said…

    Ahh.. this is right up my alley! I'm in the SCA (http://www.sca.org) and I do a lot of these renaissance faires! :) I am an officer in our local chapter and work with the new members! I love it!
    http://www.settmourswamp.eastkingdom.org
    I am so glad you ventured out to check it all out. It's such a fun hobby and we LOVE to have people walking through taking it all in and learning!!!
    XO
    Gabi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!