follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Friday, June 09, 2006

mixed media memoirs no.11

what i have learned since... is this week's topic for mixed media memoirs... i started this blog on february 26th of this year & i have learned that there are many creative souls out in the blogosphere like me!
***
addendum: this week's inspire me thursday is about show & tell >>>artwork in any medium with details, details, details... well i thought i will kill two birds with one stone, as the saying goes...& describe my process for this piece, which i initially created for mmm.
the materials: variety of alpha/number stickers, scrapbook paper, a piece of polka dot ribbon & scanned copies of a vintage photo of this charming child (which i found in a local antique/consignment shop>>>these were originally cast-offs/mistakes from a prior project that i had worked on for artwords. but i couldn't bring myself to throwing them out...just in case they might come in handy for another project!).
the process: i happen to have this scrap piece of paper that already had this distressed look that i love awashed in green...it also has a faint harlequin pattern overlaid on the green distressed backround. i liked the texture of this scrapbook paper...i thought surely i could use this for something! then i remembered that i had these alpha stickers of various fonts & sizes, that were mismatched, so, i thought let's use 'em! so using this scrap piece, i adhered the stickers on one side of page>>> something just told me to put them on the left side of the page. there's no real rhyme or reason for the alpha placement, it just sorta happened>>>my fingers & eyes took over! then i cut out the scanned image "mistakes" & decided that they would be arranged to the right of the text, to balance out the visual weight of the text on the left...then i cut out a piece of polka dot ribbon for my "colon" & used tiny alpha stickers {these are by ek success} at the bottom of my collaged image. i wanted the word "me" to stand out, so i found a sticker with just that in different color & font. to the right of the child's head, on a slight angle, i stamped the phrase: look at me!
my feelings: i wanted to convey in this piece a sense of joy & whimsy...because i was feeling happy to have finally come up with something suitable for mmm's topic & also i am genuinely happy to have discovered blogging {that's what feb 26th refers to} & the realization that there are others like me out there. i was also feeling frugal, as i really wanted to use my discards & turn them into something that reflected a piece of me. & i'm glad that i saved my scraps...i love it when a plan comes together ;) ! Posted by Picasa

10 Comments:

  • At 6/10/2006 08:57:00 AM, Blogger firstborn studio said…

    beautiful,whimsical piece!
    thank~you for the wonderful description,too!

     
  • At 6/10/2006 01:20:00 PM, Blogger Teri C said…

    This is a wonderful warm piece of art! And love your description of the process.

    When you say 'cheeseland' do you mean Wisconsin? Only us Wisconsinites call ourselves that!

     
  • At 6/10/2006 04:20:00 PM, Blogger firstborn said…

    thanks for your kind comments firstborn studio & teri c! i really appreciate them & for stopping by my humble blog!

    & teri c...yes, i do mean wisconsin! are you from cheeseland too? how cool! i live in the janesville area!

    :) mary ann

     
  • At 6/11/2006 03:28:00 AM, Blogger Judy Scott said…

    Hi there creative sister, brilliant piece of art and a lovely process to go with it. Love Judyx

     
  • At 6/11/2006 06:27:00 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    Hi there! I am so glad that you have discovered blogging too! And I am glad to have met you through this! Pretty post! You really just have a love for what you do!

     
  • At 6/11/2006 10:05:00 PM, Blogger arvindh said…

    Great work. Like you I have also connected to a lot of creative people thru blogs!

     
  • At 6/12/2006 10:53:00 PM, Anonymous looney said…

    totally unique! love everything about it...such a natural! xoxo Looney

     
  • At 6/13/2006 09:38:00 PM, Blogger Idamaria said…

    I love this piece and the bliss card as well. Have you thought anymore about exhibiting at the Art Festival on the 4th of July? The applications are still coming in and we have two huge tents, so please consider...I think you would enjoy the event as a seller as much as you enjoy finding new artsy craft shows. Jean

     
  • At 6/15/2006 12:47:00 PM, Blogger carla said…

    I love that this piece brings so many things together for you! I enjoyed reading about your process and thoughts, and i just love the reult. It's a wonderful collage...lively, happy, light. Well done!

     
  • At 6/16/2006 11:24:00 AM, Blogger artjunk~ said…

    I LOVE how this turned out...and I think the saving paper is not just a frugal thing, I think it's that we love paper! I also feel that about blogging. I was so amazed that others liked the same things, specifically, that is. we creatives are truly kindred spirits! I love all your MMM's and the friday finds group pics!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!