follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

the pillow

is my entry for this week's treasure tuesday~ {reader discretion advised...the following contains content that may be unsuitable for the squeamish & faint at heart} i apologize for continually bringing up my recent surgery, but the after effects are still lingering...even though my doc told me prior to surgery that it would take about a week to recover...this coming from a MAN! it was a week ago yesterday that i had my surgery...& to get an idea of what 's been up with me, you can click here... yesterday, i had this insane idea that i was ready to return to work...thank goodness i had the foresight to bring my little pillow with me! this has been my comfort & security of late, kinda like that peanuts' character, linus & his blanket...i made this pillow years ago after i had purchased the two pieces of fabric at a school tag sale. the lady who sold these swatches of fabric told me that they were antique pieces that she had held on to for years & sadly did nothing with them...so for a mere $1 (!), i gladly took them off her hands. & decided to fashion this cute little pillow...i initialy had it as a "fluff" piece on our bed, but last week, this little piece of fluff, came in handy...as i was (& continue to be) sore on the left side (the affected side). it literally hurt to sit down...this little pillow, along with my pain meds, made my life somewhat more bearable... when i went into work yesterday, i knew the moment i stepped out of the car, i'm not going to fare well. it's about an hour commute to/from work & since i did not take my pain meds (bec. it knocks me out instantly! & i drove myself, for the first time since surgery, did not want to take any chances), i thought, i'd better take my pillow with me because i will not be a happy camper! my hubby did not want me to go in to work, but i told him i would take it easy...my supervisor said she would put me on light duty...deep inside, i wished i was at home! i really did not care what people thought as i lugged my little pillow around with me...i must have been a sight, me in my scrubs & this little green pillow under my arm~lol! oh yes, it also didn't help that i was hobbling around as i started to feel crampy & achey on that left side... my supervisor, as promised, put me on light duty & was sent to see outpatients...at least i would not be running around the hospital (my typical day), i'd only be in one spot & the patients would come to me. i was grateful, but i still wished i was home, in my own bed, benefitting from my pain meds...all day at outpatient office, patients kept asking what's wrong with me..& really didn't want to blurt out i had an infected cyst removed from a place where the sun don't shine (& that i will likely have another surgery down the road to remove the affected gland *groan*)...so i simply told them i had surgery & it was my first day back to work...for the most part, people were understanding & even accomodated me! i did have a couple of demented seniors at the end of my day who thought i had someting wrong with my back or foot. one little lady, pleasantly & completely confused, wanted to sit on my pillow as she thought i had left that for her!!!! needlessly to say, i was exhasuted by 4:30...i would have laid flat on the floor if i could! i was so dag tired! then my friend laura insisted that i go to her apartment & have a lie down because she worried that i would fall asleep at the wheel on my long commute home. realizing that it was a prudent idea, i took her up on her offer. i called joe to let him know that i was going to crash at laura's house & then come home after i woke up. almost 2 & a half hours later (i can't believe that i slept that long!), i woke up from my nap, chatted with laura, had some nourishments & then laura saw me off. i called joe to let him know i was on my way home. he was glad that i did that because he certainly did not want me to drive home in an exhausted state. it was late by the time i got home & joe waited up for me. he told me that the big boss who hired him (to sub-contract for him, that is) agreed to adopt that stray fawn i wrote about previously & joe also told me he had put out some milk & applesauce for it...i took my pain med, had a long soak in the tub & turned in after a long day...thank goodness my little pillow got me through today...& i think it will continue to be my constant companion indefinitely. Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

  • At 6/27/2006 04:43:00 AM, Blogger weirdbunny said…

    I cann't beleive you went back too work. I hope your not going tommorow. I read up on the cyst, it sounds awful!! You need to be in bed, lots of magazines, television on and your favourite food to keep you company. Take care and rest11111

     
  • At 6/27/2006 05:45:00 AM, Blogger Jes said…

    Oh thank goodness for that little pillow...but you should have listened to Joe you silly girl!!

     
  • At 6/27/2006 09:40:00 AM, Anonymous looney said…

    yes, totally agree with weirdbunny and jes...take care of yourself...or else the tribe will be invading! love that lil'green pillow...had no idea that you made it...so talented! your day, your words...you crack me up, Ate! xoxo looney

     
  • At 6/27/2006 09:52:00 AM, Blogger Overwhelmed! said…

    Are you crazy, going back to work before you're ready?! Thank goodness for your little pillow!

    I have a little pillow as well. It's always in the drivers seat of my car, to allow me to see over the steering wheel. :)

    I've just posted my TT, stop by and take a peak. :)

     
  • At 6/27/2006 11:13:00 AM, Blogger firstborn said…

    thanks for all the love & well-wishes...really appreciate them!

    i know, i know...but i just have so many days left in my "sick" bank at work & knowing that i'll be needing another surgery *ugh* i need to conserve as many days that i can bec. my doc says the second surgery will be a doozey of a recovery!

    so, please know that i am taking it easy & doing what i need to do & that i am grateful that my job is being flexible with me during this crazy time...

    love to you all,
    :) mary ann xo

     
  • At 6/27/2006 08:23:00 PM, Blogger Susan Tuttle said…

    Oh Mary Ann,
    I am really feeling for you. I am so sorry you are going through this. Plenty of rest, and those pain meds can really do the trick--I've had 2 c-sections and they really helped--made me a little loopy too.

    Susan
    xo

     
  • At 6/27/2006 09:37:00 PM, Blogger andria said…

    You are such a good person. I would have been milking it for all it was worth. I was secretly glad I had csections because I knew I could get my husband to stay home a little longer and I could take wonderful medications that made me feel good.

    Take it easy, girl! Vicodin is your friend!

     
  • At 6/30/2006 05:12:00 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    I love your pillow, sounds like you are doing what you can do...glad you had a place to take a rest....see how many people were thinking of you?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!