follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Friday, June 30, 2006

trash remix 2:tutorial

hi it's me, firstborn, aka mary ann... i am giddy with excitement because a) i am feeling way better & less sore/achey! b) it's friday & also my day off from work>>>YIPEE! & c) it's wicked nice outside today! several posts ago i showed a plastic box that i transformed into a pretty holder...and kelly wanted to know how i did that...so here's my little tutorial, just for you kelly (& any curious on-lookers...i know you are out there!)... always happy to share my little crafting tid-bits & what-nots... collage box #1(starting at the 1st row, upper left pic, & following along to the right, row by row): >>>me in my studio, looking rather goofy. >>>plastic box with attached lid, preferably ( i used the kind that you get from stamping up stamps sets), matte finish decoupage (my preference, but you can use whatever you like) & purple & pink gift tissue paper (you can use crepe paper or any light-weight paper/fiber). >>>i start with the backside of the box first...with foam brush, smear on the decoupage on the backside of plastic box...make sure you coat the outside & not the inside...then randomly tear up your tissue paper. >>>once you've got a layer of the decoupage on the back of the box, place the torn up tissue paper wherever your little heart desires. on top of the tissue paper layer, you slather on the decoupage. you keep laying on the paper & glue until you've covered the backside & no clear plastic spot can be seen... >>>i always keep baby wipes on hand in my studio...they are an absolute must-have (unless you have a sink in your studio)! after brushing on the decoupage, your hands get all icky from the gooey glue stuff. >>>now, this is where you get to decide...you can leave the backside decoupaged with the tissue paper alone OR (if you're like me) you can add extra "stuff" like paper dies or ephemera & form a collage of your design...i had some purple-y blue paper with butterflies, flowers & fabric swatches & decided to cut-out stuff & arrange them on the backside. if you decide to go this route, make sure you put a layer of that decoupage goop so that your collaged items will stick. once you have made your collage, add another layer of decoupage glue. before even attempting to flip this box over to work on th front side, you must WAIT until the decoupage is dried...if you are somewhat of an impatient sort like me, you can most definitely use your heat tool or hair dryer to speed up the drying time. collage box #2: >>>once the backside is completely dry, flip the box over so that the lid is facing towards you as in the first upper left pic in first row. >>>now, to make this special mottled, marble-y effect on the lid, i've used alcohol inks & a bit of felt attached to a stamper...this was actually a kit that i recently got by tim holtz . you take your ink of choice & squirt it wherever you want on the the felt pad...take care, because, the ink can squirt out too much & then you'll have inky pinkies... >>>you can use as many color inks as you want...go wild or conservative...it's totally your call...here i've chosen 3: cranberry, eggplant & lettuce... >>>once you've got your colors applied...then turn the stamper over & smear, glide, pounce, swipe away>>>it's up to you>>>you can repeat this process however many times you want...i think i did 3 times...anway, stop stamping around until you have covered the lid's surface & you achieved a look that you like... >>>to get those splotchy circles, i used this special alcohol ink (also the tim holtz brand) , called "mixatives"...this happens to be 'gold'...shake the bottle & squirt a drop wherever you want on the surface. see the colors spread & separate to make these pools...wicked cool, huh?! >>>you could stop there & be done (& btw, those alcohol inks dry wicked fast, even though they look like they're still wet!)...but i, as you can see, didn't...i just so happen to have a store-bought butterfly card (this came from michael's dollar bin)...i liked the graphic & most importantly, the size...it fits so nicely on the backside of the lid. >>>i cut the card in half, saving the other part of the card for some future project. i then wanted to put some text & found this word sticker, "precious". placed sticker to the right of the graphic. collage box #3 (sorry the pics are not in sequence because i didn't have enough snaps to make a proper 9-pic collage!): >>>i used double sided tape & affixed it on the front side of the card, right over the image! you won't be able to see the tape once you strap that baby on the backside of the lid. position the card with image facing away from you (in other words, the image side must be able to be seen from the front of the lid!!!)... >>>wait, you're not done yet (unless you want to be)...to add some extra "cuteness", i hole punched a couple of holes (i think i used the 1/8 sized hole-puncher or is the 1/16th?) in the crease of the box (see pic above)...this is so you can thread a coordinating ribbon, fibre, whatever...i also had this grocery tag that had "cheers" printed on it...thought that added a little more "oomph" {smile}... >>>& lastly (or if you'd rather omit this part, go ahead, won't hurt my feelings in the least!), you can added a little surprise on the inside of the box...it's up to you...et voila, you've just remixed a piece of trash! neat-o, right? there are no right or wrongs...just give this a whirl & see what wonderful keepsake you create! hey kelly, i hope you appreciate this! it took me a few hours to do this!!!! but i did it with love! toodles y'all...on to the next project...hmm... Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

  • At 6/30/2006 07:12:00 PM, Blogger Kelly L. Watson said…

    this is awesome - thank you so much for posting this (and how perfect for a weekend project, too!)

    Tutorials DO take forever to post... they're so helpful, though. We should start a group blog devoted solely to them :)

     
  • At 6/30/2006 07:36:00 PM, Blogger melba said…

    Love seeing how you did this. I am a BIG fan of tissue. I am glad to hear you are felling better. Hope you get to venture out this wekkend too!

     
  • At 6/30/2006 08:11:00 PM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    I just bought some really cute crazy tissue at target today on clearance, a whole set of bags, tags, tissue, etc. to play with, so I think I will try this! fun! I never want to throw away those cute little plastic boxes...cant wait to have fun with this! anytime you want to offer a class on line, I will take it!!!!

     
  • At 6/30/2006 11:50:00 PM, Blogger firstborn said…

    thanks kelly, melba & pauline for your sweet comments! really very much appreciated! it was total fun, labor of love really...glad to share...hooray for tissue paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    & kelly, that sounds like a great idea! we should do it...i'm sure there would be others who would go for that!

    bella weekend my creative pals!
    :) mary ann xo

     
  • At 7/01/2006 03:51:00 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    I layed in bed...and was tired doing it but I did, I took a small jewelry box though..a cardboard one which takes longer to dry...I get the idea, much nicer to work with than paper when decopaguing! It was fun, i will post a pic later..thank you for your comment on my blog, I used to do Power Yoga when I was fit and healthy, for two years! Getting back into shape and losing weight is going to be my comittment for the season, and I have to write about it in Melbas MMM.....my old instructor does private lessons and I need to call her to set up a date...I thought an initial meeting on the beach...which I love to breath the ocean air..I deserve it! thanks for sharing your art process!

     
  • At 7/01/2006 03:52:00 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    I layed in bed...and was tired doing it but I did, I took a small jewelry box though..a cardboard one which takes longer to dry...I get the idea, much nicer to work with than paper when decopaguing! It was fun, i will post a pic later..thank you for your comment on my blog, I used to do Power Yoga when I was fit and healthy, for two years! Getting back into shape and losing weight is going to be my comittment for the season, and I have to write about it in Melbas MMM.....my old instructor does private lessons and I need to call her to set up a date...I thought an initial meeting on the beach...which I love to breath the ocean air..I deserve it! thanks for sharing your art process!

     
  • At 7/01/2006 11:19:00 PM, Blogger audrey said…

    Great tutorial. I love the little one that you created for me. It was great seeing how you did it.

     
  • At 7/02/2006 07:33:00 PM, Anonymous looney said…

    gorgeous!!!!!!!! what a great idea, kelly and reya-you should start tutorials ...would be a faithful blogger student (although I don't have a blog site)... but I'd learn from the very best! xoxo looney ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!