follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

treasure tuesday

wrapped up inside this ordinary placemat holds something special that i'd like to share {& tell} for this week's treasure tuesday. when i was in college, i had taken some studio art classes, which, in a nutshell, lead to my love of watercolors. i so became enamored with the transparency, the immediacy, the fluidity of this wonderous medium...& over the years i have invested in, as my budget allowed, a collection of brushes designed specifically for watercolors...no, not the cheapie kinds, but the good ones...piece by piece my collection grew...these brushes are like extensions of my fingers & my view of the world as i see it in any given moment in time...before i turned this simple fabric placemat into my brush holder, all my brushes used to stand in an old pat o'brien's hurricane glass that i had gotten from new orleans {which actually held those famous hurricane drinks!}...then it dawned on me: that's no way to protect my investment! my watercolor instructor had told me about fashioning a placemat into a holder instead of spending beaucoup bucks on a fancy schmancy one...so grateful to him for that wonderful tip! i used to paint quite regularly...here's a piece that i did a few summers ago...the inspiration for this was a baby watermelon that i had bought from a neighbor who grew organic flowers, herbs, veggies & fruits & used to sell them at the curbside of his property... then i stopped painting for a while...until recently when i took out my special brush holder & painted a piece called red poppies...it felt so good & surprisingly natural to paint again... & for a while there, i thought i had put my brushes into early retirement. Posted by Picasa

10 Comments:

  • At 6/06/2006 09:02:00 AM, Blogger Overwhelmed! said…

    How awesome! I love, love, love your treasure this week! Thanks for sharing.

    I've posted my treasure as well. Stop by and take a peek. :)

     
  • At 6/06/2006 09:41:00 AM, Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said…

    clever!! What a great idea!

     
  • At 6/06/2006 10:39:00 AM, Blogger Faith said…

    Great idea! I love it. You should paint more often. You are very talented!!!!

     
  • At 6/06/2006 11:36:00 AM, Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said…

    I agree with Faith! Love the poppies!

     
  • At 6/06/2006 11:40:00 AM, Blogger norththreads said…

    This is wonderful, i have actually been making some art roll-up cases to hold pencils,colored markers, & scrapbooking stuff, i'll post on my blog when im finished! Paint away, its so relaxing for me, but i dont do it enough!

     
  • At 6/06/2006 11:53:00 AM, Blogger Beck said…

    Wow, that roll-up case is a great idea. I think the urge to create is such a gift in itself!

     
  • At 6/06/2006 05:17:00 PM, Blogger Woman Wonders said…

    Oh how I love this TT! I have always said how much I wish I was more talented when it comes to art, how wonderful!

    Thanks for the Brooke Shields compliment btw! :)

     
  • At 6/08/2006 03:40:00 AM, Blogger weirdbunny said…

    Your so clever using a table mat!

     
  • At 6/08/2006 06:15:00 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    so creative...how do you keep up with all your talents! Your photography is georgeous, your work with paper and now painting! I have never painted before and remember my art class, everyone would be onto the next project and the teacher would have to take mine away and tell me I have worked long enough..could never get it right....those watermelons are georgeous...as are the red poppies..so different in their colors....lovely!

     
  • At 6/12/2006 11:04:00 PM, Anonymous looney said…

    totally agree with everyone, esp. sweet memories...you're so multi-talented...scared of you!!! xoxo Looney

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!