follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Friday, June 09, 2006

weed patrol

not too long ago, i wrote about my adventure at a local renaissance fair. while i was there, i came upon a booth that was selling all kinds of herbs, both ornamental & culinary...it was here that i met a lady named elsa...who happened to be a member of the local herb society {i had no idea that such existed!}...well, we got into talking about our passion for gardening & of growing herbs... & before i knew it, i was signing up for (see below)...! i've always gardened independently all these years & never had i joined a gardening group, much less a society! well, elsa was a kindly woman who reminded me of an endearing grandmother figure, so...i thought, maybe it would be nice to meet other gardeners & share tips & ideas, etc... elsa rang me up a couple days ago & wondered if i wouldn't mind helping with some weeding at "the gardens"...i said, sure, i could spare an hour or two...i made my way there & i believe i was the only non-blue hair lady there! oh well, i have nothing against blue-hairs...i think i might be their youngest member? anyway, the ladies were delighted to welcome me into their group {or should i say, "my" group now?}...i learned about new {to me} herbs, like parslane & sorrel, & how to identify various herbs...it was kinda labor intensive>>> all that pulling, digging, scrapping, cutting...though i am no stranger to that, as i already do that in my own garden at home! this is the section i helped clean up...this is one of 3 herb beds...how quickly 3 hours go when you are engrossed in weeding activity! but the fruit of my labor were all these freebies i got from the gardens! yipee! sometimes the rewards of volunteering can be incredibly generous. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  • At 6/10/2006 06:31:00 AM, Blogger Jes said…

    Oh what fun...and this "mainer" wishes you a happy weeknd!

     
  • At 6/10/2006 09:38:00 AM, Blogger Overwhelmed! said…

    Hmm....an herb society. I wonder if my area has one! Beautiful garden you were weeding! Nice freebies!

     
  • At 6/11/2006 06:24:00 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    I love it, I have never joined a club since high school! I need to get out and mingle even if it is with old souls! I am so glad you ventured out and did this!

     
  • At 6/12/2006 10:49:00 PM, Anonymous looney said…

    hooray for joining! i knew that one day you'd be involved with a gardening society! now you can learn even more and put your two cents worth in. i truly love your rotary gardens...and the fruits of your labor-INCREDIBLE! what a great adventure you'll be on!!! xoxo Looney

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!