follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Thursday, July 06, 2006

"two-fer"

in the interest of time, this piece is inspired for this week's mixed media memoirs (i will need help...) & studio friday (7-layers)... we just learned that my 80 y.o. father-in-law is ill & so we're having to trek down to chicago tomorrow. i am trying to get as much of the art challenges that i can fit in between now & the time we leave tomorrow... dad-in-law is resting at home after a brief hospitalization... how'd i do that? you wonder...well, i took a piece of glossy paper & used that lovely alcohol inks technique (here i think i've used 5 or 6 ink colors) i described about before...i am, at the moment, so loving my alcohol inks kit (by tim holtz) that i got in the mail recently...i'm experiementing like mad! then i die cut the letters using paper that i made doing that, what else, alcohol technique...then i added an ink-distressed flower die cut as well as die cut an "asterisk" with same paper i used for the text. what do you think...you like? speaking of the text, that is my "tongue in cheek" plea for HELP! unlike my sisters or the dh, i do not possess the wonderful gift of the gab...i am more reflective & observant...i find that i best express myself via WORDS, the written words, that is...i've always been one to write, write, write...all those years of writing research papers, thesis & reports have refined my written expression... but at the fair last tuesday, i realize that i seriously need help in the schmoozing department, particularly if i want to be more "visible" to potential patrons...it's not an easy or comfortable task for me. yes, i interact with all kinds of people at the hospital where i work, but somehow, that is different...i guess it has to do with a certain amount of confidence that i have there...i've been doing this line of work for over a decade & i can pretty much do it in my sleep! this "putting out" of my artsy/craftsy work is FOREIGN territory for me...i guess, in time, i will gain the confidence & possess the finesse of bull-shitting, i mean, schmoozing, the crowds. Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

  • At 7/07/2006 06:42:00 AM, Blogger sweet memories said…

    I think you will do well schmoozing..just think of how great we all think you are at what you do and how we would oooohhhh and aaahhhh over what we would see!

     
  • At 7/07/2006 08:14:00 AM, Anonymous naomi said…

    Love all the color and texture of your picture.
    Schmoozing definately takes time to craft.

     
  • At 7/07/2006 09:39:00 AM, Blogger Going For Greatness said…

    I hope that your visit to your father-in-law is plesant. Give my regards to your husband. I have been in his position and while it's not comfortable or plesant, it's necessary and will mean the world to his father.

    Like any art, schmoozing takes patience and practice. It won't happen over night but I think you've jumped in with 2 feet and are well on your way!
    I love this piece. I haven't tried the alcohol inks yet but I know they are all a-buzz in the scrapbooking world so I'll eventually stumble across them and have to give them a try. I love the tye-dye type look ( for lack of another word) that they create!! The layers are very visible too!! Great job!
    ~Have a great weekend!!~
    XO XO XO
    Gabi

     
  • At 7/08/2006 03:01:00 AM, Blogger Anke said…

    I think I have to get some alcohol inks soon. You made me even more curious about them. Hope you have a good trip to Chicago.

     
  • At 7/14/2006 04:02:00 PM, Blogger Idamaria said…

    I have only known you for a short time and I am always taken-a-back by your clever witty and articulate use of the language on paper and found that face to face, you are a little on the shy side. And I agree with you, once you get more comfortable "schmoozing" with strangers, the easier it will become to commission your talents. Your new friend Jean

     
  • At 7/14/2006 04:05:00 PM, Blogger Idamaria said…

    By the way...I love the alcohol inks too. I have just completed an altered book(old victrola folder for the 78 records)and attached a metal container to the front, using the alcohol inks to decorate. Turned out great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!