follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Thursday, August 03, 2006

creative roots

(detail of crayola drawing by former pediatric patient, maureen b., ca. 1995) that is the theme for this week's studio friday... where did your creative roots come from? i honestly do not know... my mom used to make clothes for me & my sis jo... like the little number i am wearing in the above pic (i'm sitting next to my mom & i think i was about 3)... she got the sewing bug from her mom (my maternal grandmother, who was a seamstress) however, unfortunately, i did not inherit the sewing gene my mom & grandma had... i mean, i can hand-stitch & do a little embroidery here & there... BUT i have never sewn CLOTHES, much less entire wardrobes... & i am not sewing machine savvy, like they were! also, my mother crotchets & knits! i {sigh} used to know how to crotchet (but my brain has permanently blocked that ability out!) & i cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to knit, even with those "fool-proof" teach yourself knitting kits! i think i am hopeless case! oh how i do admire & envy those who have the GIFT & natural ability to use a sewing machine properly & who can also KNIT! i have never seen either parent draw or paint... (which are two things i absolutely enjoy!)
they both were too busy working & raising 5 chitlins...
they didn't have time to play or fool around...
they busted their humps to provide for us...
you know, in pursuit of the american dream...
my father especially>>> i remember he was always working... & when he was not working, he liked to putter around the house (yard work is his thing!), running marathons (yeah, he's been in countless fun runs & even 6+ marathons in chicago... i've lost count how many he's run in!), he is more of a physical active-type person than someone who sat down & created a piece of art or craft... i do think, though, i inherited his "green thumb" as i am a freak for gardening {smile}... & i believe he got this from his mother (paternal grandma), who was into medicinal herbs & such... i remember meeting my paternal grandma for the first time (i was 9) & she grew her own tobacco & rolled her own ciggy right in front of us! (the late) grandma p. was a TRIP (God bless her soul)! so you see, i don't know wherein my creative roots lie... all i know is that i have this deep-seated need to CREATE... to express my heart's desires, my hopes & dreams, & to follow my bliss... i guess my roots begin with ME. Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

  • At 8/05/2006 10:08:00 AM, Blogger APlanet4Creation said…

    My parents were busy with the 4 of us kids too. I didn't get my Mom's sewing genes either.

     
  • At 8/05/2006 01:20:00 PM, Anonymous tempestdelfuego said…

    The photos are great. So happy!
    The flowers in the latest post are GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for sharing your story.

     
  • At 8/05/2006 11:20:00 PM, Anonymous mereteveian said…

    Your story is great, thanks for sharing!

     
  • At 8/06/2006 02:43:00 AM, Blogger Anke said…

    That's an interesting post and gardening is a creative process as well! Enjoy being creative even you don't know where exactly it's coming from. ;)

     
  • At 8/07/2006 12:20:00 AM, Anonymous looney said…

    how cool is it that you can remember so many memories from our childhood...i have a select few but you hit the nail on the head with where you get your creative roots...both mom & pop gave us some tools and you're right...it really comes from your heart! so proud of you sista! xoxo looney

     
  • At 8/07/2006 10:12:00 AM, Blogger Going For Greatness said…

    What a great writing today! You got your love of gardening from your dad then? I bet that's it!
    As for the artsy side of you.. well that's just too cool that it's all self-induced and inspired! My parents have creative sides but not in the paper-craft world!
    XO
    Gabi

     
  • At 8/07/2006 01:51:00 PM, Anonymous Michelle said…

    Great stories and memories. Thank you for sharing!!! And just love the pictures too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!