follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Thursday, August 31, 2006

studio friday

This week's sf topic for Friday September 1st suggested by Gabi: ARTIST'S BLOCK. "You've heard of 'writer's block'. Well as an artist, I sometimes suffer from "Artist's block". What is this you ask? It's when you sit and sit and can't come up with anything. This can go on for hours, days, weeks even months sometimes.I want to know how you break free of Artist's block! " ~ Gabi for me, all sorts of ideas just sort of come to me...i don't know how else to explain it, they just COME...i'm always waking up from dreams with some idea for something...& if i do get a bit of an artist's block, i just try not to force myself usually because if i do that whatever i'm making turns out like crap & then i invariably scrap it & start all over!...what i tend to do is do other things instead like>>>gardening, yoga, reading a book, cleaning, washing dishes, making some dinner, driving somewhere, even go shopping! OR i simply sleep on it & almost always, an idea comes forth, typically in a form of a dream. i think for me if i get "stuck" on something, i let that go & do other things...i let the subconscious do the work for me... sorting it all out in the back of mind...& then, without force, the ideas just present themselves to me...& that works for me! {thanks tine & gabi for this interesting topic...to see how others deal with this, go here.}

11 Comments:

  • At 9/01/2006 10:17:00 AM, Blogger Anke said…

    Great way to get ideas! Dreams, they can be so useful sometimes. I like your 'let go' attitude.

     
  • At 9/01/2006 10:51:00 AM, Blogger Ouissi Gresty said…

    Lovely description...love the ideas coming to you in dreams...i never seem to remember mine!

    Ouissi x

     
  • At 9/01/2006 11:34:00 AM, Anonymous Carrie Sommer said…

    Yes! This is great and so true! I love how we are all on the same track!

     
  • At 9/01/2006 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Sounds as if everyone has the same cure. :o) This is a good thing.

     
  • At 9/01/2006 12:25:00 PM, Blogger Cassandra Russell said…

    This is my other approach to artist's block! Sleeping and dreaming seem to do the trick! Great advice for all!

     
  • At 9/01/2006 12:50:00 PM, Anonymous sharla said…

    I agree with not forcing. I hate the work that I force too. And then you are out all these hours making a piece of junk that you could have spent doing something fun and inspiring instead!

     
  • At 9/01/2006 09:01:00 PM, Blogger APlanet4Creation said…

    Sound advice!

     
  • At 9/02/2006 02:31:00 AM, Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said…

    Mary Ann, your upbeat sense and style seems to be endless, you are the one of the most encouraging bloggers i know! May all your dreams come true!

     
  • At 9/02/2006 01:26:00 PM, Anonymous Lady Swan said…

    Dreams! Yes! My problem is remembering what I dreamed for more than 2 minutes after I've woken up! I sometimes get sleepy when I sit down to create. Maybe my subconscious is telling me something? LOL

     
  • At 9/03/2006 02:10:00 PM, Blogger DEW said…

    You are blessed and very "connected" having your ideas come to you in dreams. You are a very spiritual artist! Love this post. Your blog is great - I totally cracked up over the Project Runway post and couldn't agree with you more!!

     
  • At 9/03/2006 03:27:00 PM, Blogger kerrip said…

    I loved your insight (I read other blog comments too sometimes) -- that the common thread is "getting away" - whether it be walking, sleeping, watching a movie, etc. You seem to have found the common thread in all the things people do to break the block, or just to refresh creatively. I am first-born of 3 (girls) so I love your identity too... and I agree with DEW above, - bye bye to Angela and her rosettes (I made a hotplate with those in my Brownie Troop at age 7)!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!