follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Thursday, August 03, 2006

thrift thursday

a new weekly, similar, though different, to my friday's finds...i was actually checking out last week's studio friday's posts, when i came across this...it appealed to my "junkin' mentality", so i joined in on the fun...the premise of this weekly is to post all your cool finds strictly from thrift/secondhand/charity shops>>>price tag & all! this group was created by sommer designs last week (actually right on my b-day!)...go check it all out! when i am not antiquing, you might find me thriftin' (or junkin' as the case may be)...& that goes way back in the day when my mother would take all 5 of us kids to her fave haunt, amvets (short for, i believe, american veterans)...anyway, here are my contributions for this week>>> this strangely though somewhat endearing gold jewelry box, or rather, chest (it's HUGE), which i found at my goodwill store by me...the cost: $2.99 (usd) when you open the box, there are 3 levels of sorts with various compartments...in this snap, i placed a few sewing notions & other what-nots that i found at another goodwill store (about 45 min away from here)...let me tell you, no two goodwill stores are ALIKE...the one by me is SUPER clean, organized, cheerfully bright interior & items are low priced! this store also happens to get a ton of TARGET rejects>>>their loss, but my {blissful} GAIN! the other goodwill, well, was dingy, cramped, crowded, dirty & way more expensive than my goodwill! i doubt i would go back there again (unless, of course, there was something there that i absolutely had to have & would be a damn fool to pass up!)... but i digress...let's tally up what's in the box shall we? ah yes, a tube (never been opened/used) of silver acrylic paint for $1.99; a wicked sweet snail patch for 69 cents; embossing paste, also 69 cents; cotton rolls (green & cream) 99 cents each; bias tapes & zippers, 69 cents a piece; & 3 sets of paper ribbons, $1.99 each... a close-up of that wicked cute snail patch... & ones of these andy warhol quote paper ribbons...yup, i'm a bargain shopper, thrifter & junker...& damn proud of it! go to sommer designs' thrift thursday & see other nifty thrifty finds. Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

  • At 8/03/2006 10:39:00 AM, Blogger andria said…

    OMG...I love the Goodwill! I can't find one near me here, but there was in WV and we went there almost every day. I got a lite brite, brand new, for 79 cents and suit for Jacob for 59 cents....totally cannot beat that. I am missing that goodwill. You got some great stuff I am feeling that tug in my bones to go find one!

     
  • At 8/03/2006 11:33:00 PM, Anonymous looney said…

    pleaseeeeeeeeeee i want to go!!!!!!!!! wonder if i might have a goodwill over here...like andria, will check it out... so lucky that you can find such treasures! xoxo

     
  • At 8/04/2006 04:06:00 PM, Blogger andria said…

    Looney...

    go to www.goodwill.org and plug in your zip code. I found one just 2 miles down the road from me that I never EVER knew was there. You know what I am doing this weekend.

     
  • At 8/07/2006 12:16:00 AM, Anonymous looney said…

    thank you sooooo much, andria!!! how nice to spread the wealth! will investigate and let you know what i found out...what a neat source! xoxo looney

     
  • At 8/16/2006 09:39:00 AM, Anonymous looney said…

    hi andria!!! thanks for the information...i found a goodwill store about 15.5 mi away from me...wish it was closer but it'll only take about 30 mintues to get there...i can't wait...maybe this weekend, i'll get a chance to find some treasures! thanks again!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!