follow your bliss

we don't have an eternity to realize our dreams, only the time we are here -susan l. taylor

Monday, September 04, 2006

treasure tuesday

i know we're not really supposed to enter a person in faith's treasure tuesday, but can i talk about a friendship that i treasure? this is elsa, she is a lady i met last spring...she is one of the founding members of the herb society that i recently joined...well, over the past few months, i have gotten to know elsa & she is quite a remarkble person! first let me tell you that she is 68 years old & has a touch of arthritis, for which she uses a cane at times. but don't be fooled by her senior status! she not only is a gardener/herbs connoisseur, but she is constantly on the go & a talented crafter as well. right now, she is learning how to play the dulcimer (don't ask me what that is, but isn't that a stringed instrument from long ago?), takes tai chi, believes wholeheartedly in recycling & developing a sensory garden for the sight/hearing impaired, is an avid rubber stamper & very much into the arts, especially quilting & paper arts... she even has a studio in her home, which she shares with her artist husband (also in his 70s). here is her secret fabric stash, along with her stamps & paper collection (not pictured)...she said to me recently, "i've got to get cracking & use all this stuff, before i die!"...she laughed when she said this, but it dawned on me that she is after all pushing 70 & time is a factor (it is for us all, but i think more so for someone such as she)...whenever i talk to elsa, she is always busy doing something or taking some class or going to some meeting or another. wow, where does she get the energy? i have to say that she's my hero>>>if i can only have that much energy & drive when i make it up there in age like her! these are cards she is working on at the moment...she said to me that she likes to send handcrafted christmas cards>>>these are not your ordinary cards either! scared of her, lol!!! & cards that she has done...just for the sheer joy of making them! i said to her, what else can you not do??? she laughs when i say this to her...she says, "i don't have internet, but at my age, i don't need it!"...she is a character, but a really nice one! i'm so glad that i met elsa & got to know her these past few months. i think our crossing paths last spring was not a coincidence. even elsa has said to me, "it was meant to be"...how cool 'cuz the feeling is mutual... i really do treasure her friendship>>>& it just goes to show you that there is no age limit when it comes to friends. Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

  • At 9/05/2006 03:41:00 AM, Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said…

    Friendship is one of the dearest treasures! I have a very good friend she is 87.

     
  • At 9/05/2006 05:55:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    I love this post! Thank you for sharing your friend with us.

     
  • At 9/05/2006 08:19:00 AM, Blogger Nancy Baumiller said…

    Awww! What a lovely dear friend you have and talented! I love the part about her sensory garden for the sight/hearing impaired! How wonderful! I love that! She is definately a treasure! Tell her I said, God Bless her! My mother is my best friend she is also my hero! She is 84 and still works full time despite her recent surgery of breast cancer! She is doing well now and the doctors got all of the cancer! God willing! Thank you for sharing your treasure of a friend with us!

     
  • At 9/05/2006 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Beck said…

    Now I want to be Elsa's friend, too - how much fun is she! I think that people make the best treasures.

     
  • At 9/05/2006 12:58:00 PM, Blogger Going For Greatness said…

    I love seniors. They have incredible wisdom and have seen and experienced a LOT MORE than we have. They are to definitely be TREASURED!
    I love her cards!! Too bad she's not an internet granny! I would love for her to blog... I am sure she would have a lot to teach!!
    XO!
    Gabi

     
  • At 9/05/2006 01:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Friendship is such a treasure!!!! I love it, good for you!

     
  • At 9/06/2006 03:18:00 PM, Anonymous looney said…

    wish i knew someone like elsa...what a free-spirited woman with so much creativity oozing out of her soul!!! so lucky! i heart her work space and stash! so neat and tidy!!! xoxo looney

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Swap-bot swap: Valentine's Day Swap
I swap with Swap-bot!